top of page


QEA is now accepting applications Kindergarten through 12th grade

for the 2022-2023 school year

Quality Education Academy is a tuition free public school serving scholars in Kindergarten - 12th grades. Any child who is qualified under the laws of North Carolina for admission to a public school is qualified for admission to a charter school. To qualify to attend a NC public school, a student must be a resident of North Carolina. County boundaries or school attendance areas do not affect charter school enrollment. Quality Education Academy does not limit admission to students on the basis of intellectual ability, measures of achievement or aptitude, athletic ability, disability, race, creed, gender, national origin, religion or ancestry. The School may give enrollment priority to siblings of currently enrolled students who were admitted to the Charter School in a previous year and to the children of teachers, teacher assistants, and the principal of the Charter School.

During each period of enrollment, Quality Education Academy will accept applications for new students. Once enrolled, students are not required to enroll in subsequent enrollment periods. In order to properly plan, the school will routinely inquire with parents in early spring by requesting letters of intent to ascertain if students will return to Quality Education Academy the following year. Applications for new students are available in the School office and on the School website. If needed, the application may be mailed or emailed to the parent of a prospective student.

QEA's open enrollment period runs from January through March each year. During the enrollment period, the School shall enroll an eligible student who submits an application within this period, unless the number of applications exceeds the number of available spaces of a program, class, grade level, or building. If the number of applications exceeds the number of available spaces, a lottery will be held to fill vacant seats for the next school year. After seats are filled, the drawing will continue to determine the order of a waiting list. Current year waiting lists dissolve when the next enrollment period begins.

Lottery procedures will comply with the NC Open Meetings Laws provided in G.S. 143-218.10(a) by publicizing the date and location of the meeting as well as allowing anyone to attend.

QEA Admission Lottery Date: Thursday, March 30, 2023 at 6:00 p.m.

Lottery Procedures:

Quality Education Academy (QEA) uses a Weighted Lottery to provide “weighted preference” to students who are educationally disadvantaged (ED). QEA uses a point system to designate applicants that fall within the 6 categories of “educationally disadvantaged.” There is a checklist with a brief explanation of each designation on the enrollment application that allows applicants to volunteer this information (“opt in”). 

The six categories include:

  • EC (Student with a disability; receiving Exceptional Children's Services - e.g. 504, IEP, Other Health Impaired)

  • ESL (English Language Learner)

  • Migrant (Parent/Guardian is a migratory worker in the agricultural, dairy, lumber, or fishing industries and whose family has moved from one school district or school administrative area to another during the regular school year)

  • Homeless/Unaccompanied Minor (Child or youth not in the physical custody of a parent or guardian)

  • Immigrant (Lawful permanent residents, or LPRs (people with green cards); refugees, people granted asylum or withholding of deportation/removal, and conditional entrants; people granted parole by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) for a period of at least one year; Cuban and Haitian entrants; certain survivors of trafficking

  • Economically Challenged (Eligible for free or reduced-price meals under the National School Lunch and Child Nutrition Program, or household income of $28,000 or less, for a family of 4)


 All applicants are awarded 1 point for applying. Applicants are awarded an additional 1 point if they are designated to be within any one of the 6 ED categories. All applicants with the 2 points weight are entered into the Weighted Lottery, at least one day prior to the General Lottery. The Weighted Lottery pulls from the ED pool of applicants until the number of slots equals 67% of total enrollment. All remaining applicants designated ED are added to the General Lottery as a part of the pool of applicants that will fill the remaining 33% of the student enrollment seats. As a part of the 33% of student enrollment, those ED applicants will have equal consideration for the General Lottery, while siblings of current or legacy families and staff children will be given their usual preference. This Weighted and General Lottery process will be managed by SchoolAdmin, our current Admissions and Enrollment Management Software.

All questions should be directed to the Administrative Office at (336) 744-7138

bottom of page